GSM Student Profile: Jose Gamboa



This Friday we're focusing on an amazing student within the GSM program. Jose Gamboa is an active student here at Bloomsburg University and offers the GSM blog a unique perspective on his experiences, as a student in the minor.  

Pictured: Jose Gamboa
Your preferred pronouns?
My pronouns are he/him/his.

Where are you from?
I am from Allentown, Pennsylvania.

What’s your major? Do you have any minors? 
I am a double English major in English: Creative Writing, and English: Literature. I am also a double minor in Gender Studies (duh) and Music.

Are you involved in any other clubs or organizations on campus?
I am heavily involved in many organizations on campus! I am the President of Sigma Tau Delta (the International English Honor Society). I am the Vice President of my social fraternity Tau Kappa Epsilon. I am the Assistant Percussion Section Leader for the 2019 Drumline in the Maroon and Gold Husky Marching Band. I am also a member of the Percussion Ensemble. And, I am a Staff Writer for The Voice (the on-campus newspaper).


How has being a student in the GSM program benefited your academic and social experiences on campus? Have these classes changed, shaped or broadened your perspective?
I have learned so many new methods of thinking. The GSM program cultivated such a meaningful learning experience for me that I know my grades have skyrocketed. Socially, I know I am just enhancing the knowledge I already had. I have always been an open and forward-thinking person. The GSM courses just accentuated and emphasized the views I had. Which is never a bad thing. I am even more firm in my beliefs than I was four years ago when I began at Bloomsburg University.

What has been your favorite class while being in the GSM program? Why?
My favorite course in the GSM program is easily English 463: Shakespeare. I took this English course with Dr. Francis when I was in my second-year. And I loved every second. I wholeheartedly see this course as a launchpad I used to pursue more topics and subjects in the GSM program. Pertaining to this specific course, I was able to study Shakespeare under a different lens. A lens I never imagined using for Shakespeare. I am very grateful I took this course with Dr. Francis.

Do you have a project, GSM related, that you're proud to have been a part of, or work on?
I have no set project, yet! However, I am very proud of my 20+ page research paper I completed for Dr. Francis in her Shakespeare course. I analyzed Lavinia Andronicus from Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus. I had so much fun doing the research, compiling the research, and in turn, writing the paper. I learned so much.

What kind(s) of job(s) are you interested in after you graduate? How might your Gender Studies Minor help you in your future?
I am actually looking into becoming a college English professor. I believe one must be worldly in many relevant and real issues to be an effective instructor. The GSM easily gave me access to becoming more worldly. Many of our own societal issues are relevant and real to issues in the medieval texts that I am reading. Dr. Francis has made me into a medievalist; I have taken many (currently seven) courses with Dr. Francis. She truly gave me a different set of eyes to analyze with. There is so much validity in understanding as many point-of-views as possible. There is so much to learn. The GSM program helped me to do that. I began to pay attention to all sides of the story. I have learned so much from this program that if I do pursue my potential future of becoming a college English professor, I have no doubt I can pass on the experience. An experience worth everyone's time and energy.

As the semester draws to a close, I think it is super important to share the experiences of our GSM students. Jose is one of many students in the GSM program, who has discovered new passions and new ways of experiencing our world. The courses and professors within this minor can help you cultivate an inclusive worldview that goes on to impact not only your academics, but also your social and professional lives. 

As always, I encourage you to check out the minor and all the classes offered. Especially as the semester wraps up and you prepare for Spring.

xo 
Lex

#BUGSM #OnwardUpward 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello hello hello!

History Behind Women's History Month

GSM Student Profile: Olivia Minzola